Hello and welcome to another lovely Thursday! Today I wanted to chat about some of my favorite products for color treated hair. My hair has been put through a lot. I have been coloring my hair since I was in high school, so give or take about eight years. When I was younger I didn’t make the best decisions when coloring my hair and would use box dye and bleach with out really knowing what I was doing. My hair became very brittle and thin and I knew I had to make a change. Now a days I leave the hair dying to the professionals (only about once a year) and I try to use products that are going to help heal and protect my hair from any kind of damage.
Since I have made these changes my hair has been so much healthier, so I wanted to share some of my tips and tricks to dying your hair and the types of products I like to use so keep my hair healthy!
My first tip for hair coloring would be to find a stylist you trust and love. My stylist and I have a really good relationship (she was one of my sisters best friends in high school). I value her opinion and know that if something isn’t going to look good or work for my hair she will tell me so. I have had hair dressers in the past who would do what ever I wanted but to be honest I have no idea what I’m doing! I think it is important for a stylist to share his or her opinion and make sure that you know all the facts before doing anything to your hair.
My second tip would be to limit the number of times a year you color your hair. I usually limit myself to once a year but sometimes if I am making a drastic change I’ll allow two. For example this past year I went from dark back to blonde at the ends of my hair so it took two trips to get the color just right. Its so important to make sure you give your strands a break in-between dye jobs to heal!
My final tip would be to find some amazing products that will not only help protect your hair but also heal it after those harsh dye jobs! Whether you dye your hair or not it is always important to use products that will help nourish your strands. I wanted to share a few of my faves!
1. The first product that I have been loving for my colored hair is the L’Oreal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Post Color Repair Mask (isn’t that a mouth full). This mask is specially formulated for dry, damaged, color treated hair. It claims to help repair visible damage from color processing in just 1 use. I like to use this hair mask at least twice a week. Since I started using it I have noticed that there doesn’t seem to be as much breakage in my hair. It also leaves my hair feel super soft and silky. As affordable hair masks go this one is probably the best so far that I have tested. I feel that I can actually see a difference in the texture and health of my hair.
2. Another hair mask that I have tried and loved is the Rahua Omega 9 Hair Mask. This one is a bit pricey but made my hair feel amazing. This claims to be a professional strength hair mask that helps to rejuvenate damaged and dull hair. My favorite part about this mask is that is claims to strength the hair to ensure hair and scalp health. Most people think that the key to healthy hair is moisture and while that is important it isn’t the only thing. I think a heathy scalp is the best way to ensure your hair stays healthy so I am always looking for products to help protect and heal my scalp. I also love that this mask uses plant derived ingredients to help nourish the hair.
3. Next up is a product that I like to use in my hair straight out of the shower and that is the Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil. Aside from my hair needing all the nourishment it can get, I also need something that is going to tame the frizz. My hair is naturally wavy and with that comes some frizz, so I love that this product is dual action. It hydrates and nourishes while it tames my frizz! I know sometimes oils can be a little scary when it comes to putting them anywhere near your hair or face (at least for me). Most oils I have used way down my hair and leave it feeling like a greasy mess. But this product is so super light weight and fast absorbing, that it leaves my hair feeling soft and shiny. Mostly because this product is formulated to mimic the hair’s natural oil (how cool is that).
4. The Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Milk is another product I like to use in my hair right after showering. This product is more of a leave in conditioner and gives my hair just that little bit of extra moisture that it needs. It absorbs super quickly and doesn’t weigh the hair down at all. I usually mix this in with my Living Proof oil to create the perfect mixture of moisture and nourishment for my hair!
5. Next up we have my favorite heat protectant, the Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer. I like this product because it has a dual purpose! It protects your hair from UV and heat stressors and it also helps to detangle and soften your hair. I always use this product before using any type of heat, whether its blow drying or curling/straightening with a styler. This products can be used on damp or dry hair so it is perfect for every occasion or styling need. I like to focus it mainly in the areas where my hair is color treated. I honestly think this is the best heater protector that I have ever tried! A lot of times I find that they just coat the hair the a weird film, that makes the hair feel dry and coarse. While that might help at protecting your hair form the heat it definitely does not feel like healthy hair. This product because it also has those nourishing factors protects the hair but still makes it feel silky and smooth.
6. My final product is the Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave In Conditioning Spray. This is a newer product that I have been using but I absolutely love it. I use this product as an alternative to products 3&4. Sometimes I like to mix things up and try new products. But because I am so particular when it comes to my hair I had never really found a new product that I absolutely loved, until this one! I first tried this after receiving it in my Sephora Play box and I immediately knew I had to buy the full size. First off it smells amazing and the smell lingers in your hair just enough so that you get whiffs through out the day (every time I use this I get complemented on how good my hair smells). It is also super light weight so it won’t weigh the hair down or cause a lot of product build up. But most importantly it has the three key features that I look for in every hair product. It moisturizes to add softness and shine, it diminishes frizz and it shields from heat and UV rays. I use this product most on low key hair days, where I know I won’t be heat styling so I don’t need to add a ton of product.
Since I started using the combination of these products my hair has felt and looked so much healthier. Its amazing the difference using the right hair products for your hair can make! I was never someone who thought she needed to use anything other then shampoo and conditioner but my hair has really thanked me for changing my mind.
I hope you enjoyed this post and it inspired you to find some great products for your hair! Let me know if you have nay tricks for keeping color treated hair healthy (or really just your hair in general) I would love to hear them.